14 June 2012|
MISSED LESSON POLICY
EFFECTIVE FROM THE BEGINNING OF TERM 1, 2012
Diving SA has experienced a very welcome surge in membership over the last 12 months which is reflected in the very busy poolside training sessions. It is very rewarding to see the increased participation of so many male and female athletes of such varying ages in our sport.
Unfortunately, full sessions have made it very difficult to find time slots for divers to makeup missed lessons during the term. Here are some of the difficult issues coaches have had to face:
- Of most concern is the safety factor: taking on another diver when the training session numbers are already at capacity to start with.
- Divers have just turned up to attend a makeup session without the diver or parent first discussing the matter with the coach and reaching agreement on when a makeup lesson can be attended.
- Where squads are full it is very difficult to offer a makeup lesson with the diver’s coach on another night.
- There may be a mindset that a child can miss a session one night because they can turn up the next to do a makeup class.
In discussion with parents who have children in other sports/activities, it would appear that DSA was in the minority offering makeup times during the term. The Board has now adopted the policy, like many other sports, that a missed (paid) lesson is just that - a missed lesson.
There will only be three exceptions to the policy:
- If pool time is cancelled, and another time cannot be offered, then a credit may be applied.
- If there is a prolonged absence due to illness, and a medical certificate is provided, then a credit will be applied.
- Where a child takes a holiday during term, and prior written notice is given to DSA, then a credit may be considered.
As our decision to amend our policy is based on providing the best and safest training environment for all who participate in our sport, we would appreciate your understanding and support of our decision.